Saturday, July 21, 2007

NewScientist: Organic Tomatoes Have More Antioxidants


According to the new findings, levels of the flavonoids quercetin and kaempferol were found to be on average 79 and 97 per cent higher, respectively, in organic tomatoes. Flavonoids such as these are known antioxidants and have been linked to reduced rates of cardiovascular disease, some forms of cancer and dementia, says Alyson Mitchell, a food chemist who led the research at the University of California, Davis.

Click the picture for the full article.

I'm pleased to be coming across this. Like many individual issues of environmentalism, the benefits of eating organic food is something that some people seem to go out of their way to disprove.

I personally prefer it and I can truthfully say that I feel better since having become vegetarian and taking, on occasion, the organic option.

I don't recall coming across any speculation that eating organic might be worse for me, only that it may be no different. In that case, I've got nothing to lose. Some point to the added cost, but if I prefer the product, I'm willing to pay more for it.

As an aside, I'd like to take a moment to give Dan Quayle the finger for ruining my ability to pluralize "tomato".



Ever since his potato incident of a few years ago, I always hesitate when faced with that decision. I thought this was a common thing, but evidently not.

In any event, by the time I promise to learn it again by I'm prime minister so as to not embarass myself further.

No comments: