Saturday, March 03, 2007

Like Healthy Candy


Sometime ago, I raved about my new-found love for Booster Juice. It still very much applies and I've found a new reason to feel that way.

Since discovering them (or rather, finally getting around to trying it, since I knew they existed. I may be going treehugger but I don't live in a cave) I've tried a number of their smoothies. If I'm planning on going to the gym that evening, I'll do the Veggie Combo from the Chinese place in the World Exchange Plaza food court (chow mein, mixed vegetables and, imagine that, rice) and have a Booster Juice smoothy to go with it. When I'm done, I'm fuller tham Jennifer Lopez' jeans.

For a few weeks, I'd been drinking one called the Marathon. Sounded appropriate for a subsequent gym visit, and ever-so-slightly more masculine than ordering a "Raspberry Rapture".

Not no more though! My new favourite is the Brazilian Thunder (which, again, is easier for me to order than a "Blue Banana". And while I'm digressing, the Blue Banana is pinkish and tastes like orange. What's the friggin' joke??).

And why is the Brazilian Thunder my new favourite, you ask, assuming you've been able to keep track through my rambling? Because of the delightful little sumbitches above, the acai berry.

The acai berry grows on palm trees in the heart of the rainforest, is dark purple, and looks similar to a grape. Inside, it grows a large seed with a light covering of flesh, which can be pulped in water to produce a thick paste.

The result is a concentrate with an exquisite flavour, often described as something like a mixture of blueberry and chocolate.

More importantly, the acai berry paste provides a remarkable range of nutrients. A complex mix of advanced antioxidants, amino acids, omega fatty acids (healthy fats) and a number of other essential vitamins and minerals, qualifies acai as a genuine superfood. Described as one of the ‘Forty One Best Things On Earth’ by Sports Illustrated for Women (September 2003), this amazing little berry is set to revolutionise the health industry.


Benefits include...

Improved skin tone, with younger and healthier-looking skin.

Better circulation, especially to the fingers and toes.

Relief from inflammation and the symptoms of fibromyalgia.

Healthier eyes, with better night vision.

Increased vitality and energy.

Stronger ability to fight off colds, flu and other illnesses.

Helps to lower cholesterol naturally.


But don't take it from me. I'm still in training. Take it from this righteous chick:




If it's good enough for Oprah, brother, it's good enough for you.

Now I hear wheatgrass is great for you too, and Booster Juice does offer it in their drinks, but...huh...that'll be an experiment for another day.

Source

No comments: