Thursday, May 10, 2007

I'll Huff and I'll Puff...

...But I don't think I'm blowing this house down...

BRYN WEESE / The Nugget (North Bay)
Local News - Monday, April 30, 2007 @ 08:00

Although hundreds huffed and puffed their way through Albert and Martha Attema's homestead Saturday, the straw bale home was still standing after the local Green Party riding association open house fundraiser was over.

Hundreds of onlookers packed the 2,000 square foot home between 1 and 3 p.m. for tours of the one-storey, two-bedroom, two-bathroom home built with straw bales and cement that is completely "off the grid."

Solar power and, more recently, wind power are the only sources of electricity for the Attemas, who have lived in the Peever Line eco-friendly home since December 2004.

"They never expect it to look like this," said Martha, who was busy answering questions about how she and her husband built the home and how they manage to live without conventional power.

"I really like that people are interested and asking a lot of questions. That's our whole goal, our whole mission in life, to inspire people to go green."

Interesting. Mrs THIT and I were considering vacationing in the North Bay area this summer (I used to live there and loved the place). Wonder if we'd get the opportunity to check the place out. Not that I'm considering going that route, mind you, what with having a newly-built home on the way, but it may be good for an idea or two.

Speaking of that, the Green Energy and Transportation Show is on this weekend and we may be in the area right around that time. We may sneak in and have a look at what they have to offer. My schedule is affected by the fact that I'm currently between homes, so I can't get directly involved in events like I did last year, but this one seems to be falling into place. I hope to be able to report back about some nifty tip or gadget I've come across.

No comments: