Wednesday, October 11, 2006

It's All About The accessories, Baby.


If I'm going to Stand Up Against Poverty, I figured I needed to be properly attired. I found out about the whole thing, if I recall correctly, from a makepovertyhistory.ca newsletter. Seems only right then that I'd wear the colours. Plus, being that I accesorize well anyway, no doubt this spiffy armband would only increase my "foxy bastard" score. 's all good. Works on many levels.

But those things don't grow on trees. I actually thought that they were carried in several stores, but that doesn't appear to be the case. In fact, it seems one store in particular carries them:


Ten Thousand Villages gives a portion of the sale price of each white band to the campaign for education and advocacy purposes.

Righteous. So who are these guys? Well...

Ten Thousand Villages operates over 40 stores across Canada. Each is a unique global experience with home decorating ideas, household essentials and unique seasonal favourites. But there is much more to each store. Listen to the stories behind the art – the traditions and culture of the artisans.

We are also active in communities from coast to coast. Through festival sales and special events, we bring the inspiring global marketplace of fair trade into numerous communities, celebrating culture while supporting world artisans.


I can dig it.

Here in Ottawa, there's a location on Richmond road. Other locations can be found by province here. I'm going to scoot over there on Saturday, pick up one of these bad boys. Coincidentally (I swear), it happens to be their 60th anniversary!

Saturday, October 14

10:00am-6:00pm

  • Tasty treats and samples
  • Music & activities for kids
  • Giveaways
  • Visiting artisan from Laos, Kommaly Chanthavong, will present on silk weaving
  • Draw for a special gift basket
  • For more details, visit www.alternativetrade.com

Sunday morning I'll head out to the Byward Market and do my standing duty. Maybe I'll suggest to the Mrs that we go for breakfast out there too, and see if we can't help out a local farmer or two while we're at it. Not sure if we'll get that opportunity. Whatever. We'll hug by ear.

No comments: