Friday, June 30, 2006

Like Buying a Game-worn Jersey, But Better.


It's Canada Day tomorrow, which I'll celebrate by walking for Olympic athletes, then recreating the best tailgate party the group of football fans I belong to had last year on this very holiday. Sure, we don't have a team any more, but we have a tape of last year's game, a tent, a couple of BBQ's, a parking lot...all the makings of a good time.

Browsing the Canada Day articles, I came across these little known facts:

3. The flag at the Peace Tower flies 24 hours a day, seven days a week. It is changed on a daily basis, usually early in the morning and by a designated Parliament Hill building employee who receives training on how to perform the task.

4. Flags on the East and West Block are changed weekly.

5. Once a flag is drawn, it goes to the office of the Minister of Public Works and Government Services, before it is eventually distributed to people who have requested it.

6. Want one? You'll have to be patient. There is a 10-year waiting list to receive a flag that has flown on the Peace Tower. The wait is five years for a flag that has flown on the East or West Block. Anyone interested should put the request in writing and send it in: by mail to Public Works and Government Services Canada, Office of the Minister 18A1, Portage Place III, 11 Laurier St., Gatineau, Que., K1A 0S5; by fax to: (819) 953-1908 or by e-mail to minister@pwgsc.gc.ca. Only one flag per household is allowed.


Actually...if the waiting list is that long, then perhaps it's not as little-known as I thought...

In any event, in the standard THIT spirit of asking myself if I should do something and answering myself with "Why not?", I'm about to send an e-mail to get on the list. I look forward to the response I'll get in 2016, which is properly sooner than I'd ever get a response from Ravishing Rona Ambrose.

Ah well. The battle continues.

I wonder how many trees I have to hug to get to hug Rona Ambrose? Hmmm...food for thought. Or not.

No comments: