Friday, August 04, 2006

Thousands Participate in HBC's Run for Canada


I subscribe to the Canadian Olympic Committee's newsletter because...huh...I like the Olympics. I hadn't really heard about results of my last little mission so I'm pleased that they chose to include a little write-up in the most recent communication.

I'm also pleased that the turn-out was so good because I was fearing a flop. It just seemed like I was never hearing about this thing and I thought people perhaps were less into it because it went from benefitting a charity (diabetes, if I recall correctly) to athletics. Doesn't look like that was the case after all. Good on them.

On July 1, over 10,000 Canadians participated in 10 events across the country to help support Canada's amateur athletes in the 3rd Annual Hbc Run for Canada. Joining them were over 150 of Canada's most accomplished athletes including Deidra Dionne (freestyle skiing, Red Deer, AB), Colleen Sostorics (hockey, Kennedy, SK) and Ryan Cuthbert (canoe/kayak, Carleton Place, ON). Pledges are still coming in and the final proceeds are expected to be available in September. All net proceeds from the events will go towards supporting Canadian athletes striving to reach the podium at the Olympic, Paralympic, Commonwealth and Pan Am Games between now and 2012.

No comments: