Sunday, April 15, 2007

Been a While Since I Broke a World Record...


I think I might be getting the itch again. You know, you break a world record or two, you just start looking forward to the next one. ;-)

The Ontario WORLD RECORD WALK 2007 is aiming to break the existing Guinness World Record for the largest number of people walking one kilometer simultaneously (current record held by Western Australia with 100,915 Participants – September 2006 www.wagiantwalk.com.au/whatis.php)

Okay, but...what's the point? I mean, when you've broken as many world records as I have, even though you get itchy, you still need a reason. Any idiot can grow his ear hair five inches...



Radhakant Bajpai of Naya Ganj, Uttar Pradesh, India, has hair sprouting from the centre of his outer ears (middle of the pinna) that measures an incredible 13.2 cm (5.19 in) at its longest point.

...but if I'm going to participate in a grueling...huh...1km walk, I need to know why.

The World Record Walk 2007 will start a "walkolution" aimed a creating a culture of walking by:

  • Connecting with the WALK21 (www.toronto.ca/walk21) message of "Putting Pedestrians First"
  • Encouraging Municipal leaders to sign the International Charter for Walking (www.walk21.com).
  • Putting the public focus on and educating the people of Ontario about the benefits of walking and active transportation (www.Active2010.ca).

All right then. I shall investigate further. I have no idea why they chose a Wednesday to do this; it hardly makes it more convenient, but it might make for a decent excuse to take a day off work.

Oh, well there you go! I've just found my motivation!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Why Wednesday?? Because it's INTERNATIONAL WALK TO SCHOOL DAY!! ( www.saferoutestoschool.ca)

and it coincides with the Walk21 Conference ( www.walk21.com ) and (www.toronto.ca/walk21 )
Besides Wednesday is a GREAT day to take a lunch hour walk! Walk for the environment. for active healthy living. for traffic and pedestrian safety and to raise awareness for morewalkable communities!!