Sunday, April 01, 2007

Check Out These Nuts!

Taking a stroll in downtown Ottawa yesterday morning, Mrs THIT (who really should be writing this blog nowadays, since she comes across a fair chunk of the information I post about before I do) stumbled into a bag of "soap nuts" in one of the stores that we visited.

She called me over, and I was intrigued if for no other reason than to find out what she had beheld that could possibly make doing laundry appear interesting.

Well, little did I know! She had come up with soap nuts!




Here's a description I found when I googled the term.

SoapNuts are the shells of a seed from trees grown throughout India and Nepal. These shells give a soapy substance when they come in contact with water (the seeds are discarded) and it’s said that 1kg of the nuts can wash 100 loads. Simply pop 6-8 shells in the cloth bag and throw them in your washing machine – these will last about 3-4 washes. Your wash will come out clean, but without a smell, so if you like the scent of clean clothes just add a few drops of essential oil to the wash beforehand. SoapNuts can also be used for other things as well, like washing windows, cars or pets.

They're also terrific for an endless source of juvenile humour, so I'm totally on board. This is something else we'll try when we get into our new digs.

No comments: