Sunday, February 26, 2006

2006 Seal Hunt


I've joked in the past that knowing that Christine doesn't read this allows me to get a way with a few things. In this case, I'm truly glad she doesn't read it because this topic makes her blood boil.

Heard a guy on the radio the other say that the performance of the men's Olympic hockey team made him embarassed to be a Canadian. Yeah, okay. For me it's the annual seal hunt out east.

I've yet to hear one convincing argument in favour of it. At least one Green Party candidate in Newfoundland (though I believe there a second one later as well) withdrew from the election because she felt that the Party's stance against the hunt was not realistic, yet she never illustrated why she felt it was needed. It's not that I haven't heard the arguments, just that they don't justify the action to me. Or for that matter, justify the boycotts and the horrible perception that is created by it. And even if they did, I'm still opposed to the methods used.

The Humane Society of the United States is optimistic that recent events and measures taken will breed some results this year. I'm not so sure, but I'll be tracking it during the month and doing my little part. I've begun by writing to the Department of Fisheries and Oceans and asking exactly how they do justify this. I look forward to their response.

No comments: