Monday, February 13, 2006

Ah-Ha! I Think I Have It!

I think even I can swing this:

Eggplant Penne with Fresh Tomato and Olives

Ingredients:
  • 1/3 eggplant
  • 1 ripe plum tomato
  • 8-10 black olives
  • 1 cup penne (whole wheat or flour)
  • fresh garlic cloves or garlic powder
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • pinch of red pepper flakes (optional)
  • olive oil
  • lemon (optional)
Directions:

Cut the eggplant into rounds, then 1/2- inch slices. Toss with salt and pepper. In a pan, heat olive oil on high and then toss in the eggplant. Crush a few cloves of garlic and saute them with the eggplant, or use a little garlic powder. Cook on medium for about 10-15 minutes, or until tender and browned. (I prefer the eggplant a little blackened, it lends a smokier taste to the dish.)

Bring water to a boil for pasta. Slice the tomato and put it in a coriander (say what?!). Submerge the tomato slices in boiling water for about 10 seconds. Remove and set aside. Pit and tear the olives.

Boil penne until tender. Remove eggplant and pasta. Put tomato, eggplant, pasta, and olives in a bowl together, tossing with a little olive oil, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Squeeze a little lemon juice over the dish.

Serve immediately, and enjoy!

Serves: 1 large or 2 small

Preparation time: about 20 minutes


**I had to look up "coriander" to be sure...but I think she means a colander. It can't possibly be a calendar. Will investigate.

1 comment:

T.H.I.T. said...

Will let you know. I've got a chocolate cheese cake going on for later, which I'll serve with apple/strawberry juice.

I'm more nervous about this than I was on our wedding day, it's bizarre. I'm so out of my element, it's embarassing.