Friday, February 10, 2006

Credit Where it's Due.

I mentioned being subscribed to many newsletters and action alerts and such. Recently, one of them (I believe the Clean Air Alliance, but don't quote me) asked its recipients to write to Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty to question the province's plans for cleaner energy sources.

Damned if, roughly a week later, I don't reach into my mailbox to find a letter from Mr McGuinty. Not only do I appreciate just the basic gesture, but particularly so because it wasn't a form letter. It was specific to my comments and questions.

My overwhelming laziness prevents me from typing out the whole thing, but the meat of it is:

We are on track to achieving our goal of 10% of Ontario's generation coming from renewable sources by 2010.

The projects, which include eight new wind farms and a waterpower project, will spur economic development in the renewable energy sector and will bring an estimated $2 billion in new investment to Ontario.

Keep up the great work, you sexy bastard! Peace out!
Okay, so I made up that last part.

I have to admit that I'm not overwhelmed by a 10% mark, however I view it like someone trying to lose weight; to lose 100 pounds, you can't get there without going through the process of losing 10 pounds first. Hopefully 10% is just the start and once reached they can look towards the next 10%.

In any event, I'd be lying if I said I've been a huge of this guy, but this is a good way to earn points. I was pleased to receive a response specific to what I wrote (especially since at first glance I thought I was being called up for jury duty!).

No comments: